If you know me then you know that I don’t just “like” wine…I LOVE it!!! I also love visiting different wineries in Ontario and when I travel. There’s something about the experience of visiting a beautiful winery, learning about their wines, day drinking, wandering around, and sitting outside with a cheese board and another glass of wine. That is what I consider a truly perfect day.
This past weekend my friend and I decided to visit Niagara-On-The-Lake to check out some wineries. We ended up going to 4 wineries and 1 brewery. Since this was not my first time going to Niagara-On-The-Lake I wanted to sit down and review my favourite wineries there, in hopes of helping you plan a day trip there soon!
Before I begin, I want to say that I love a lot of wineries in and around Niagara-On-The-Lake, the staff are always super friendly and informative, and I will continue to go back year after year! But, these are my top 5 favourite wineries currently.
Top 5 Wineries in Niagara-On-The-Lake
- Colaneri Estate Winery: My absolute favourite winery is Colanieri Estate. The exterior of it is so beautiful and it makes me feel like I am in Europe! Most of their wines are made with the traditional Italian appassimento style of drying grapes. They have an outdoor patio where you can be served glasses of wine & Margherita pizza while taking in the gorgeous views surrounding you. I would definitely consider getting married there!!!
2. Angels Gate Winery: My cousin brought me to this winery last summer on the way to Niagara-On-The-Lake and after visiting it again last weekend it made my list! The location of this winery is in Beamsville and I love the aesthetics of the winery. It is a 10-year-old winery with a wide array of delicious wines (my favourite was their Gamay noir). I would definitely suggest visiting this winery on your way to Niagara-On-The-Lake, it’s so worth it!
3. Kew Vineyards Estate Winery: Another winery to visit on your way to Niagara-On-The-Lake is Kew Vineyards. It is about 5 minutes away from Angel’s Gate Winery and they have the same winemaker so it makes sense why I love them both! Kew winery is an old home that was turned into a wine tasting venue so it has a lot of character. Last weekend, my friend and I sat outside on their back patio, had a glass of wine, and one of their amazing cheese boards (their bread dip has chardonnay in it and it was delicious!). I will definitely be visiting here again!
4. Two Sisters Vineyard: If you are looking for a winery with the best food then go to Two Sisters. It is a beautiful vineyard that has a European feel to it, much like Colaneri. It is a great location to have a small wedding or even just to celebrate a special occasion in their wine barrel room. Their outdoor patio is lovely to sit on to have a glass of wine with friends or a romantic dinner with your significant other. Oh, and their wine is delicious!
5. Niagara Oast House Brewers: Since I also love craft beer and visiting breweries I felt like I needed to include at least one brewery on my list! Niagara Oast House Brewers is a craft brewery with a great outdoor patio. It has a nice bar with a view of beautiful vineyards. Their farmhouse brewery has a great mix of beer, cider, and tasty food to snack on. You can also purchase some bottled beer to take home (I like their “barn raiser” beer).
Those are 5 of my favourite places in and around Niagara-On-The-Lake. Let me know in the comments down below what your favourite wineries/breweries are in Niagara-On-The-Lake!
Thanks for reading.