I honestly think that the key to happiness is gratitude. Being grateful for all that you have and living in the present moment. If I’m ever feeling down or anxious I like to focus on what I am grateful for at that very moment.
For a few years now I have been waking up and naming or writing down at least 5 things that I am grateful for. This could range from my good night’s sleep to the morning coffee that I am about to enjoy. Every night before I go to bed I try to also think of things that I am grateful for that happened in my day. The productive day I had, seeing my friends, the delicious dinner I ate, and so on.
This has truly changed my life.
I changed my focus from looking at what I “lack” to what I have and when you do this daily you really realize how much you have to be thankful for. Instead of being envious of other peoples lives, take a look at yours! Yes, you might not have your dream job, home, body but what do you have?
Things to be grateful for:
- That you are able to see, taste, smell, walk, hear, read, and write
- Your job & make money
- That you have family, friends, or significant others
- Your home, clothing, and fresh drinking water
- That you are constantly learning & growing everyday
- Listening to music you love
- That you are striving for your goals and dreams
- The upcoming trip you are going on
- Your phone, computer, tv, and the internet
- The food and drinks that you had today or will be having later
- Coffee, Wine, Pizza
- The opportunity to make a change in your life
- Your pets
- The power of meditation & yoga
- Reading a good book
- That tomorrow is a fresh start
- Owning a car
- The beauty of nature
- Your good health & your families
- The country you live in
- Taking a hot shower
- Fresh bed sheets
- To be alive!!!
These are just a couple of things that you can be grateful for every day. Make it your goal to start focusing on at least 5 things that you are grateful for every day and see how it changes your happiness levels.
I am grateful that you are reading this post. Have a beautiful day!